In 1920, the Fresno Irrigation District became the successor
to the privately owned Fresno Canal and Land Company. The District
inherited over 800 miles of canals and distribution networks that were
constructed between 1860 and 1890. In addition to the canals, the
District also retained extensive water rights on the Kings River. The
District receives a small amount of water from the San Joaquin River
through the Friant Water Authority.