"The Uvas Reservoir area was frequented by the Mutsun Ohlone. Today's reservoir was once part of the 11,093 acre Rancho Las Uvas ("Ranch of the grapes"). The lush valley was used for a a variety of agriculture including plums. At the turn of the century a woman named Minnie Kell, or "Ma Kell", ran a campground in the Uvas Creek Valley, featuring a swimming hole, baseball diamond and dance floor. The construction of Uvas Dam and Reservoir in 1957 was part of a countywide effort by water officials to ensure adequate water supplies for the valley's growing population. Water from the reservoir is used to recharge supplies in underground aquifers, which will later be pumped from wells for residential, agricultural, and industrial uses."